Wednesday, December 07, 2005

So many things to do and so little time........

Oh my gosh, it has been so long since I've had a spare moment for myself...... one long enough that would allow me to string two complete and total thoughts together, that now that I do have the chance, I'm uncertain if I can do it, LOL! Either way, I've decided to use it to update my long, lost seemingly forgotten blog!

My life has been a whirlwind! So much so, I don't know how I've not managed to run into myself with all the comings and goings. Anyways, it has been so long since I've written here that I don't even remember what I've mentioned and what I've not, so please bear with me here as I try to catch "not only my breath" but up to date on all the recent happenings.

Have I mention that Don will be having a total knee replacement surgery? Having been born with Cerebral Palsy that has affected his lower extremities all of his life, we both are excited and elated at the possibly of his left leg finally being surgerically corrected. Since late September 2005, the ball to get this done has been rolling; lately at a high rate of speed! Now, I'm not certain what man in his right mind schedules a total knee replacement surgery smack dab in between two major holidays and the busiest time of year .......... Oh yeah, that's the man I'm planning to one day marry, LOL! Anyways, life has been one joyous and exciting ride after another since I've met him so I cannot act totally shell shocked at his timing.
In September and after a real scare of him tripping due to his knee giving way and the even more suspenseful ride of where he almost ended up ---- putting his hard head through our living room window; the man I so dearly love decides after 3 long years of begging and pleading to look into a total knee replacement.
Anyways, in mid-September, Don received some excellent news! He will be undergoing surgery on December 14th for a total knee implant. Affecting his left leg, the knee joint is gone. There is no cartiledge nor fluid remaining in the joint. Combined with the CP he was born with, it has put his left leg 18 degrees outward from what we all know as "normal". The Dr. who will performing the surgery has a patent out on his knee/hip replacements techniques and implants and specializes in working with physical handicaps. The good news is he is 98% certain that he will be able to maneuver and manipulate the implant so that Don's leg will be straightened! Don is excited, having had trouble walking all his life, he says, "I feel like I just hit the lottery!"
Since then, it has been one appointment after another, one test after yet another test, and Dr.'s appointments after Dr's. appointments. If you'd like to add in my 11 hr. work days, a now 4 month old black lab ---- very much so appropriately named Chaos!, all the preparations for Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping, and the preparations for this surgery to all come together successfully --- the picture will begin to come together! So please, pardon my ramblings.......... and know that behind every successful man there is a great woman, even if she's a bit worn and frazzled right now!
On November 30th, we visited New Albany Joint Implant Surgeons for his history and physical, pre-admission testing, and physical therapy. And on Monday, we finished up with the final Cardiologist visit clearing the way for the actual surgery scheduled for December the 14th.

We are still uncertain regarding the outcome of the actual the surgery and really won't know until he has completed the 4 - 6 weeks healing time with physical therapy here. It may even become a 6 - 8 week process, taking us right into the New Year. Therefore, my employment has became temporarily on hold for a bit and appears it will stay that way until after the New Year. {There is a slight possibility I could work a bit by this week's end and a few day before... but at this point, I'm all for ruling it out entirely!}
So, there you have it....... recent news.......... current events......... and one insane lady! {smiles}

No comments: