Saturday, January 14, 2006

Sometimes, You Simply Have to Spoil Yourself........

As many of you know, since September I've been doing a lot of running around, working long hours, taking care of the many household responsibilities, making preparations for the holidays and Don's recent surgery; afterwards, playing health-care provider, and even changed to a new job. Money has seemed to have grown wings and flown out of our hands for labor and repairs to the Jeep, household bills we are paying and trying to catch up on, holiday dinners, Christmas, preparations for Don's surgery and recovery, and the simple everyday things we all need to survive, like groceries to nourish our bodies.

On Thursday, I called to schedule a haircut appointment with my hairdresser. While talking to Sadie on the phone, I'd mentioned that I was in dire need of a haircut but didn't think financially, I could afford to get my hair highlighted once again; but I asked her to leave some time, if possible, in the event that I changed my mind. I knew in my heart, I needed the highlighting as my previous highlights where growning out and the grey was once again beginning to show; but financially, I worried I shouldn't do it.

Anyways, I worked on Thursday night until Friday morning to returned home around 10 a.m., after an early morning visit with my parents, I caught a few hours of shut eye, to re-awaken around 1:30 to go to the salon.

Upon arriving, Sadie and I began catching up with with one another lives, talking about Don's recent surgery, how her son is getting along who was born with Spina Bifada {sp?}, the holidays, and our lives in general over a much needed cup of coffee lightened with a cinnamon vanilla creamer. Our conversation turned to "the little things", that we both enjoy to indulge in that assist us in restoring our souls.... a hot bath, a cup of Starbucks mocha cappuchino, chocolate, art....... just the little things we all do to pamper ourselves once in awhile. During our conversation it dawned on me that I'd been doing so much for everyone else that I deserved to be pampered a little, too!

So, Sadie and I began to working on my hair..... we decided to highlight it along with the fresh haircut. I chose a "natural blonde" color, way out of my comfort zone! and Sadie was shocked! and we continued our conversation. We talked about life in general, raising children, ex-husbands (LOL!), our lives events, fashion likes and dislikes. She complimented me on the weight I've recently lost and the jeans I was wearing, and our conversation turned to what styles and brands of jeans we each liked as Sadie placed me under the hair dryer. Various other salon worker's began to come in to work on other women's hair and nails, as Sadie took me over for a shampoo and condition before placing me back in the chair for my haircut.

The other ladies in the salon began to add their comments into our conversation about pampering ourselves and how little we often tend to do so and often neglect ourselves doing so much for our homes and families. We chatted and laughed, carelessly throwing in a few jokes and a couple digs on the men in our lives.

It wasn't until Sadie finished my hair that she turned me around towards the mirror and I instantly feel in love with myself all over again! Gone was the worn-out, tired, frazzled-to-the-bone 44 year old who drudgingly drug herself into the salon. We all know the one, who is in desparate need of a color, haircut, and change! It seemed as if years were instantly wiped away as I looked at my reflection in that salon mirror and smiled. I mean truly smiled! I was beaming.... even with the dark circles under my puffy eyes from all the recent lack of sleep, my skin glowed! Gone was the drag in my step, the slump in my shoulders, and in it's place was a new beautiful woman who held her head high: newly refreshed and filled with the determination and confidence to go out and face the world once again! As I paid Sadie the $70.00 for my salon visit, I graciously tucked $10 into her hand, asking her to please use it towards pampering herself with that new pair of jeans she desired and so deserves.

When Don arrived to pick me back up, he was simply fabberglasted when he saw me! He told me he felt like he had just picked up a new woman, LOL! We had previously made plans to go out for the evening, just a small get-together with friends in a private club to simply celebrate life and my night off. We chatted carelessly and Don suggested we go shopping to see if we could find a brown light-weight jacket to wear over a new chamoise-style top I'd received from him for Christmas to wear out that night. And who was I to say, "No."

So, as we shopped and I finally found the perfect jacket, he I both noticed how other girls and women in the store stopped and turned to look at me. Now, I'm not "all that and a bag chips" type woman, not your average "girly-girl" who is into all the "Bling-bling", {Shot! Give me a comfy pair of jeans, a T-shirt, and tennis shoes, LOL!} but I felt beautiful for the first time in a long time, but the best part was it truly showed! It was that geniune, sincere, self-confidence not the "phony look-at-me type of attitude", we've become so accustomed to in our society today.

Don and I decided to stop at Mi Jalapeno's Mexican restaurant for a dinner consisting of Fajita's, as we both knew I'd have a drink or two that evening to help me unwind and relax. While there, we chatted with the barmaid and a few friends we'd ran into. We ate an enjoyable dinner, shared with some awesome company before we returned home to prepare for the night ahead of us.

As I walked once again, over the threshold of our home, I felt true bliss! Bliss like I haven't felt in quite some time..... I was simply content to be "HOME", to be near him, surrounded by the things that we both love, and desired nothing more than to stay there and savor every moment. So, we graciously cancelled our plans, crawled into bed, and snuggled with one another..... for the first time in a very long time. Don held me close as I dosed off to sleep, content and happy, warm, cozy, and comfortable, for the first time in a long time, in my own skin. I awoke at 3 a.m. {remember, I work 3rd shift, LOL!} and that feeling is still with me.

I love my new look, and the feeling of contentment and bliss is one I truly desired to share. If you are a woman and you are reading this, "Please, do something nice to pamper yourself today. " It doesn't have to cost you a thing ..... take time to read a book, enjoy a refreshing soak in the tub, take a quiet walk, or whatever it is that "restoreth's your soul". {And even if it does "cost you a little money, don't you deserve it?} Trust me, take my advice, you'll "Thank yourself" for simply doing it!

We all get so wrapped in our day to day, or night to night lives, taking so much care of those we love, that so very often we forget to love ourselves, too. Make or take that time to be good to yourself. By doing so, your families will love you for it, you'll be happy you did, and best of all, you'll fall in love with yourself, in your own skin, once again.

{And Sadie, I hope you read this. Girlfriend, go get yourself that pair of jeans! Feel free to call me if you'd like to spend that time shopping with a friend, I'd be happy to go! {smiles}.

No comments: