Friday, January 20, 2006

Studio Inspiration.......

Here are some of the little touches that I'd like to adapt to suit my studio space: http://www.sallyjean.com/sallyjeaninspire.htm

Sally Jean has definately captured my heart and romantic side of my wanderlust soul with images from her studio space! I love the soft off-white, the warmth it projects, the softness of the silk cabbage roses, the elegant touches of the French Country style with a touch of shabby-chic, and the handmade quality and vintage flair of the decor. This is the look I am hoping to achieve!

Some of the things I've done already:
Hand-rolled and tied up all my large sheets of paper for bookbinding use. I wrapped and tied them up using fibers, jute, and added some tags, circular, walnut inked, and regular manilla. I lined a large black trash can with a white trash bag, for now, to prevent moisture from effecting the papers. I one day would love to find a vintage-y looking large container, in a vase style, in the form of the old victorian style ceiling tiles to hold these treasures.

The cones with the paint brushes can easily be created using some of the papers that I already own, filled with some raffia, gift basket shred, and decorated with wire dry brushed with white acrylic paint for a more aged to perfection effect.

I have some old world style containers, trunks and suitcases, that can be lined with an off-white fabric that I already own, and will eventually store some of the empherma that I already have.

I also desire to cover some of my old treasured hard cover books with some handmade papers, adding some ribbons, silk florals, and a tag with the titles of each book hanging on the spine. For some vintage sheet music books, I believe I'd like to create a slip cover type of bundle around them, add a co-ordinating image or a fabric transfer from the material I've found and previously posted to further embellish the bundles. I'd also like to display some of the empherma that I've picked up on Don & I's various road trips....... flyers, brochures, newspapers, etc. It will be in these personal little touches that will help me create my own sacred space.

I some cards from internet friends that I'd love to have close at hand to look at and reminense when the mood strikes me, so I'm thinking of creating my own vellum and tissue wrapped envelopes to keep them out on display in more see through containers. Currently, these are being set aside while I am organizing until I can get to actually creating the actual dream that I have in mind for them.

One project that I've forgotten to mention that I've began is a journal. I originally picked up simply because I loved the soft coral color, the rose fairy image on the cover, and the velvet-y spine. The inside of the journal contains a verse printed on vellum, that reads,
"Best and dearest flower that grows,
Perfect both to see and smell,
Words can never, never tell,
Half the beauty of the rose~
Buds that open to disclose
Fold on fold of purest white,
Lovely pink, or red that glows
Deep, sweet-scented. What Delight
To be the Fairy of the Rose!
Behind the vellum printed poem is a rose edge stationery style sheet, and beyond that lies the
lined pages which I am filling in for my first grandchild. The text is very personal but discusses how I found the journal, discovered my paper arts hobby, and how I wonder what will become of my most treasured and precious studio supplies and papers after I am gone. I desired for my grandchild to have a piece of each and every piece of paper I treasure, so I plan to include some photographs of my studio and the projects that I have created using some of those papers, small samples and information regarding them will be enclosed within the pages and pockets of the Rose Fairy journal. A ribbon bookmark already on the journal holds a fairy pin created from shrink plastic and a large walnut inked circle tag that reads, "A journal and hopefully pleasant journey through your grandmother's heart." The opposite side says, "Full Circle" and is embellished with the date, January 2006, and a paper flower with a gold brad in the center.

As I work on both the re-organization of the studio, scraps of fabric, paper, and photographs will be taken to include with this journal. A treasure I'm certain my grandchild will hold with both hands and heart!

No comments: