Sunday, January 15, 2006

Thinking ahead..........

Creating ART has been on my mind a lot lately, unfortunately I haven't had the time to actual do too much of it. So, I began thinking of some of the obstacles that are getting in my way and ways that I can resolve them.

First and foremost, is my studio; it is simply in shambles. I believe I've previously mentioned that I spent a few hours there last week, packing up some items, clearing out my bookcases, dusting, etc. That is still a work-in-progress........ but I signed up for a swap, this is a chore I MUST begin to tackle. So, I've decided to make spending at least one hour every other day doing that. I've stamps to clean, some to display, paper, stickers, and other supplies to put away, and tables to clear off so I can begin to work on the "Music of the heART" swap.

I created a list of all the requirements of the swap, made two copies --- one for in my home which is placed directly at my computer to remind me of this goal; and another to be taken out to the studio so I can set aside the supplies I'll quickly need to locate once I begin to work on the actual swap. Next, I have "the list" of techniques, thoughts, and ideas that I originally had upon reading the swap suggestion and requirements. On that list is a variety of techniques that will require certain tools and supplies which I'd like to leave out easily assessable to anyways.

So, beginning tomorrow, it's one hour a day, every other day .... time spent cleaning, clearing, and re-organizing. I'm thinking setting the goal of one hour is an achievable goal for me and I can add to that time as I have it. I'm hopeful with the next week or two this task will be complete and I can begin focusing my complete attention to the swap itself.

I'm thinking that once the swap is done, I'll continue with the re-organization issues. I'm hopeful to establish some Feng Shu to the space to assist with the flow of creative energy within the studio. I've been thinking of the decor of the space, I love the warmth of the oak veneer slat wall, the Behr Restful light green paint, my Tina Chaden art prints, and the "ole' world traveler" theme that I've previously established. My intention is to add to it! I want to be surrounded more by the things I love! In the recent issue of Somerset Studio, my favorite art magazine, there was a recent article on White & Whiteness that truly inspired me as far as the color of white goes....... Lynn Perralla's article on Quite White truly inspired me to think about my own collection of correspondence, the creamy vanilla, and the antique aged appearance of some of the things I love. I've decided I'd like to display more of them within the space, add some off-white cabbage roses, cover some books, boxes, and display pieces that fit within the theme of white and whiteness to lighten it up and inspire me further. I believe that by surrounding myself with creative things I've created or altered to be white or tone or hue of whiteness, adding in a touch of the sentimental romantic within me, I'm certain to create a space I truly love!

Another thought that I have is that "less is more". Now, I'm not talking about getting rid of a lot of the things I love and treasure, just simplifying some of the things within the space, like removing one of the tables to open the space up more. I can always add one back in quickly enough in the event that fellow artists and friends would like to visit.

I want my studio to be my sacred space, my Zen-like area, filled to the brim of all that I love, yet not so over-bearing to me that I don't look forward with love to my each and every visit there. I want to be my space to retreat to whether it is for writing in my journals, creating a piece of collage art, making an ATC for a friend, or a piece of personal artwork for myself or as a gift for another artist that simply says, "Hello. I'm thinking of you." I want to feel my heart dance within my chest with each and every step I make on my way out to the studio. I desire to establish a ritual that will assist me in getting in touch with my own creative muse allowing her heartbeat to become a bit of my own. I'm excited to get started on this journey......... the one inward that will reflect outward to myself and others visually.

No comments: