Friday, February 24, 2006

Awhh, clean, fresh air.... and a cleaner home!

It was 50 degrees here yesterday so having the windows open and airing out the back section of my kitchen, really helped me with getting the motivation and in a mood to clean! Desiring to get back to some of the "cleanliness" of our home had and that has been put on the back burner while I was working full-time since last September, I started my "spring cleaning!" Trying not to bite off more than I am able to effectively do, I'm starting in stages....... tackling one area of our home at a time and allowing myself enough time to complete each room entirely before moving on to the next. {My philosophy is that by cleaning something a few hours a day, by the end of the month I should the majority of it tackled.}

First, I "unearthed" the breakfast bar of all my scattered bookbinding and craft supplies from my latest creative frenzy. Not really having the time to actually do anything with them, I placed them in a shallow box and moved them into the living room where I set up my bookbinding area to be dealt with later. For now, at least those supplies are out of my way.

Next, I scrubbed down the breakfast bar, the half wall that supports it on one side, and washed all the walls, cabinets, and windows in the back half of my kitchen. I cleaned out the refrigerator and gave it a good washing out, before moving on to sweeping and mopping that area of my kitchen. I also took down the curtains and a floral hanging swag I'd made a few years ago. The curtains will be washed and the swap, hmmm, I believe I'm tossing. It is collecting more dust than what is suitable to me be dealing with at this time in my life. I really am desiring to simplify! Unfortunately, that is all I got accomplished there with various other household chores needing done, but I am intending to work some more on it today.

Today's agenda is to make it through the two bottom double cabinets on both sides of the drawers in the middle of the cabinet. Purging whatever doesn't need to be there and organizing what does........ this shouldn't take me too long as I did this back in August and in all honestly, neither Don or I really had time to make a major mess of it, LOL!

I, also, want to move out the refridgerator, vacuam off the coils, clean thoroughly under it before moving it back. Also, with Don's assistance, I want to get my Pfaltzgraf collection down off the shelf above the opening of the two rooms, get them washed up, dried, and placed back upon a clean shelf. This will finish this room of our home for now, as I'm thinking the drawers in the cabinets that need the most attention I'd simply leave for now and just do my normal everyday cleaning of the rest of the kitchen. My thoughts are to do all the "deep" cleaning in each room, before going back through room by room, and tackling these one at a time as I find the time in my day. Kinda like the 15 minute fly-lady technique.....

I am also looking for areas and things in our home that need to be addressed for child-safety. I realize it won't be too far into the future before the grandbaby's arrival, and then onto crawling around in Grandma's kitchen. So, I preparing for that by making a list of what needs to be done, room by room, for our home to be a safe haven for the little one. Electrical outlet covers, mini-blind cords, and various other dangers to a child. Chaos is a bit helpful as he is curious by nature and sort of points these things out as I work with him underfoot, LOL! Anyways, I'm happy with the progress I made yesterday along with my normal household duties.

No comments: