Friday, March 10, 2006

Doing computer Updates and Maintainance....

Yesterday I mentioned having a computer glitch the last several days, so today after checking my emails, I decided it was time to address the problem. First, I ran my Norton Doctor... part of my Norton Antivirus System Works. I discovered 2 errors, neither should have contributed to the problem I'm having using hyperlinks, however, I allowed the fix to be ran.

Next, I closed all open Windows and IE windows; turned off Yahoo Messenger, and ran my Webroot Spy Sweeper. First, I checked for software updates, updated my definitions, then ran the actual program scan. I cannot say enough about this software! It is absolutely amazing. Thoroughly scanning my computer, with 2 main drives, C:// for computer programs and D:// for files, temporary files, and items I desire to save --- allows my computer to function at optimal capacity. Anyways, Webroot discovered 9 new Adware and Spyware on my system. I allowed the program to remove them.

Next, I ran my disk cleanup on both my C:// and D:// drives. I cannot get over the speed I picked up once again after running these. As time allows today, between cleaning house for tomorrow's baby shower, I will be going through my Documents and My Pictures --- moving those I desire to keep off my C drive and over to the D drive; and sending any I no longer need to my recycle bin. Any that I desire to keep permanently will be burned to a cd. I'm slowly getting in the habit of backing up data that is important to me; Lord knows I'd hate to lose and have to re-do it.

I also need to update on my Windows XP registries and Norton, check for any Microsoft updates and install any critical ones, once done I'll be completely caught up with the maintainance.
Overnight tonight or sometime during the next several nights, I'll allow the disk defragmenter to run as it takes several hours to do one drive, let only 2.

Anyways, whatever I did today, I'm now able to click on hyperlinks on IE. I'm thinking the adware and spyware was slowing me down so much that I wasn't able to make a quick enough connection which caused my commands to time out. But please know, I'm no computer expert. I've learned what I know by trial and error and assistance from my computer Guru, aka Computer Doctor, Gary. Without him and his assistance, I'd have been long ago offline.

So, there you have--- computer science by a geek {*me}

Today's agenda is to clean up my home --- dusting, vacuaming, picking up a little. There isn't too much left to be done.... so I'm hoping for some time to simply relax. Trust me, I've been resisting the urge to create something, LOL! This isn't the time to be making a mess with my art supplies. But look out, after Saturday........ it's all fair game!!!!! {* happy arting! *}

No comments: