Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Tinnies and a tutorial...

I barely managed to get my two large spaghetti sauce tins painted last night before my sauce thickened and it was time to put the spaghetti on to boil, but they are done! Sometime today I'm hoping to make it out to the studio to choose some printed, handmade, texture papers along with some text and images to use on them. I've some ideas in mind but then normally my creative must takes control and my projects end up in a different direction, LOL! I believe I want to try out my Basic Grey Notch tool for some of the design and am thinking of adding a favorite quote which means browsing through some books to find the exact words to cut out. I may have to use some computer printing to finish them up.

I was surprised this morning to see my tins ready to be decorated sitting on the patio table on my kitchen, but was further surprised to see a post on 2P's inquirying about them. I guess it goes to show that great minds think alike! Anyways, I shot Ethel off an email, not desiring to step on the toes of some of my fellow artlings toes as many of them have already created and swapped out some of these out; yet, desired to share the info. It wasn't long after that another pea inquired regarding them, so I typed up a simple tutorial for creating them, which I'll share here.

First and foremost, the "tinnies" are not my brainchild but rather the work of Lisa Kaus who submitted them for publication within Somerset Studio's Wedding issue and more in the Somerset Studio's Jan/Feb 2006 issue. Lisa's website is: http://www.lisakaus.com and some examples can be seen in her recent work. She's planning to add some soon as there is a "tinnies" button already in place. Anyways, here is my condensed version of Lisa's published tutorial:

Tinnies Techique by Lisa Kaus {featured in SS Wedding and Jan/Feb 2006 issue}.

Prepare tin cans for accepting acrylic mediums and Modge Podge by washing, rinsing, and drying can thoroughly. Using a fine-grit sandpaper or steel wool, lightly sand outside of can to accept acrylics and modge podge. {I wiped mine down with a damp rag to remove any shaved debries – and Goo-Gone is great for removing any left over label glue}.

Lisa suggests using layers of contrasting paint and lightly sanding again to allow a layer of paint underneath to show through; although this is optional as you could cover the can entirely in paper if desired, as well as painting the inside of the can.

After the paint is layered and dried, use your hands to “squish” the top of the can. Don’t over “squish” as the tin can may not stand upright but just enough to add some visual interest and character.

From here on it’s all about embellishing!
Lisa used Modge Podge to adhere papers and Golden’s Heavy Gel Matte Medium for heavy items. Lisa states that lightweight papers are easiest to use and handmade or heavier papers may require a little extra patience. She burnishes using her fingers to assist wrapping around the tinnies. Sealing with additional Modge Podge is optional however she recommends it for protection and longevity of the papers. Then, add additional trinkets to embellish.

Using an awl or hole punch, puncture the cans ¼” down from the top on the sides. {As a bookbinder, I don’t recommend using an awl! Some cans are heavier and not all cans are tin so you may bend the tip of your awl! I’m planning to use my Dremel to drill my holes.} Floral wire, no preferred gauge size provided, is cut to 30” and folded in half prior to stringing it through two hole that are punched in each side of the can. An 1 ½” of wire is wrapped back onto and twisted onto the handle.

I'm hopeful that my fellow artlings will add in some links to those they desired to create and swap and that Daria will add them to the some of our classic threads there. If anyone is new to stamping and paper arts, http://www.twopeasinabucket.com is an excellent place to obtain information and try some techniques. Also, as I've mentioned many times before, manufacturer websites offer a lot of information regarding many products and some even provide tutorials as well.

Anyways, I’m planning to add wire to my large spaghetti sauce tins, purely for decorative purposes, but plan to bend it downward vs. Lisa’s versions of leaving them upright because I plan to use my tinnies to hold colored pencils and stipple brushes within my studio. I also have some ideas for decorating them up a bit adding in a few spirals to the wire and maybe some ribbons, fibers, and labeled tags. I'll certainly have to take some pics to add to my grandchild's journal I'm in the process of working on regarding my passion of Paper Arts.

I love the idea that these tinnies aren't only the most gorgeous altered items I've seen in quite some time but that they can be functional as well! They offer a lot of possibilities perfect for gift-giving and RAKing family and friends.

I may even have to expand on the idea and create some with some punched holes to be used on our rear deck surrounding the hot tub. Don & I love to use candles out there, especially at twilight and night but are often leary about using glass as we're often barefoot when coming and going in and out.

I've also been desiring to purchase some garden decor items for our rear deck but have hesitated mainly due to being undecided regarding a theme. I do know I desire something that I want to add some finishing touches to our living room so whatever I do decide to do, flows throughout the main spaces of our home and can tie in between the kitchen and the art studio. I'm also still desiring to paint and change the kitchen decor a bit more to a Country French theme and still utilize the existing rooster decor.

Since we recently painted the two living walls with Churchill Vanilla, I'm leaning towards adding a faux finish to those walls, maybe a sponged gold or butterscotch paint color that could tie into the red and accent colors that I desire in the kitchen. {I'll have to scan in some paint samples I've picked up}. Anyways, I'm thankful that paint is so cheap to work with and that I will be able to move some fixtures and decorative items from other spots within our home to assist in keeping our costs down.

For the deck, I'm seriously beginning to think, and am leaning towards the idea of European/English Gardens for ideas......... perfect for my love of anything floral and yet possesses that well-loved, aged to perfection, shabby chic appearance. I'm thinking of continuing into the light, white, off-white, vanilla with some red, pink, and cream cabbage roses, aged statuaries and urns, aged & pantina'd wrought iron that will tie in with each area of our home and provide some lighter contrast while in the kitchen looking out onto the rear deck.

If anyone has any ideas or links for any inspiration to share, I'd be more than grateful for them. I'm keeping a small workbook for ideas and somethings I can create and do inexpensively myself. Sheeesh,,,, where did all that come from? I've managed to write not only a tutorial today but a novel, LOL!

No comments: