Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Oops.... I made a mistake.......

In yesterday's post I stated Amber is 37 weeks along and last night discovered she's actually 36 weeks along! Our class taken on breastfeeding last night was very informative. Deb, the RN who taught the class was a great instructor and it is nice to know that she'll be available to assist Amber in the hospital as she embarks on this new journey during this time of her life.

I had to chuckle at the end of the class when Amber asked how much longer they prefer the baby to be carried... as the baby is still growing, dropping into the pelvic area and the discomfort is truly starting to begin. She wasn't too happy to hear they prefer the mother to carry to at least 38 weeks in order to prevent some of the respiratory problems newborns often experience. Although, she'll wait it out..... trusting Mother Nature knows best. She's so cute with her large belly and getting along great!

There were 3 other ladies in the class, one due on the same date as Amber, who is a lot smaller and who's hubby is stationed in Iraq. This is her, Amber's and one other woman's first pregnancy. One other young girl had her mom with her as well; and I thought it was great that she has a reliable support system in place already; and another lady who is expecting her 3rd child but was unsuccessful breastfeeding the first two yet desiring to try again. I was the only woman in the room who had breastfeed and actually weaned my child; so it was a positive experience being able to share some of what I learned along the way.

As we were leaving, the nurses were taking a few of the babies back in to be with their families so we actually got to see a few newborns which added to our anticipation. Today, I'm planning to get everything I will need gathered up and ready to go on a moments notice although I suspect we've a week or two yet and possibly longer! At Amber's baby shower, I guessed April 24th or 25th as the babies due date..... we'll see how close I come. {smiles}

No comments: