Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Back to artin'.....

Today, I made a new discovery thanks to a question by an online friend and groupie. Tim Holtz, teamed up with Ranger, Inc., has an acrylic ink line. My friend, Kristi asked some great questions which I desire to share here on my blog.

Disclosure statement: Although others will find this information useful, it is not intended to be a substitution for your own personal research. As I've stated many, many times previously, visit, contact, email manufacturers of art supply websites. I personally keep an art supply journal of a variety of artistic mediums, tips, techniques and manufacturer information. Not all of it is "on paper" but some in electronic files and folders yet to be transferred.

Anyways, here is Kristi's questions: "... I noticed that QVC are doing a set of 18 Tim Holtz Acrylic inks for what appears to be a very good price. Question is, what are they? What can you do with them, and are they worth buying?" and my replies.

First of all, I wasn't aware that Ranger and Tim were or had a line of acrylic inks! I've never used Tim's but here is what I know from experience using acrylic inks.

Acrylic Inks are an acrylic based pigmented water resistant ink. Most have a either a 3 or 4 star rating; relating to the degree of light fastness making them ideal for use the production of artwork intended for permanent display. The inks, being pigment based, are strong and rugged. Strong bold applications can be made in where color strength, expression and fluidity are desired. Colors can be substantially diluted to achieve the most subtle of tones, very similar in characteristics to watercolor. Washes will dry to a water resistant film and successive layers of color can be laid over. The combination of subtle tone work created using a wash first then a strong color over-painting creates some really interesting creative possibilities!

Many graphic artists, illustrators, and calligraphers enjoy them for their permanence quality. These inks can also be used with airbrushes, blow pens, and technical writing pens which can be cleaned using an airbrush cleaning fluid and brushes with odorless paint thinners.

Acrylic inks are also available in a Pearlescent. These inks are also water based acrylics that produce a shimmering pearl effect. They are also water soluble when wet but dry to a water resistant film and are extremely lightfast.

These inks offers almost limitless creative potential in areas not normally associated with inks and includes applications to wood, leather, and to some degree, glass and ceramics, as well as to paper and illustration boards. For artwork to be displayed, additional protection with any soluble gloss varnish works wonders especially on glass and ceramics.

I've had more experience with them on ceramics, however, on glass..... they can painted on producing a stained glass appearance. Imagine the possibilities here using Staz On stamped images colored in on microscope slides!!!!

Here is a sample using the Pearlescent Acrylics on an Altered Book. Magic and Moonbeams Altered Book Pages 5 and 8 feature them painted on direct from the bottle with no dilution. I hope this helps you with the information you were seeking. I'll look for Tim's/Rangers now.......and Thank you for reminding me I have some of these in my stash of supplies. I'm inspired to play with them now, LOL!

Anytime I dilute any acrylics, watercolors, Twinklin' H2O's, Radiant Pearls, ect. I ALWAYS dilute using Distilled Water or an profession artist grade medium --- linseed oil, flow aids, ect. I mainly use Distilled water....... less chemicals, and it inhibits microbial growth!!! Very important!

Also, never mix these with any techniques using denatured alcohol or any other alcohol solutions. It can result in some fumes --- and make one ill.

I also believe I read somewhere regarding knowing what art supplies and mediums can be mixed to prevention of creating flash points. Nothing worse that seeing your beautiful artwork "go up in flames" or a the possibility of a fire, especially within a paper arts studio!

****Do your research first!!!***

When in doubt and research doesn't work..... contact the manufacture, they are there to help! Also, you can request MSDS's {Material Safety Data Sheets} As an example, Golden's Products features theirs on their website in downloabable .pdf files ---- Golden's MSDS info

Several other paper arts artists chimed in that these inks can be seen in use on Tim Holtz's DVD's. I also want to recommend purchasing VCR tapes and DVD's that are technique related; they are a wonderful way to learn, experiment, and play! I've several in my own art library!!!!!

Anyone desiring to add any comments, techniques, ideas, or share links to their artwork using acrylic inks or comment on the importance of Health and Safety within their home studios please feel free to do so in the comment sections of my blog. I'd love to see and share!

No comments: