Saturday, June 24, 2006

A reoccuring theme?

I couldn't help but to notice on an online message board lately that there had been some comments made to some shared artwork by myself and other artist's who share there which lead me to pondering some things. One of the comments read, "A lot of work but lovely work so I am sure it was worth it."; "this must have taken you forever..." and other related posts mentioning the time it takes to create a beautiful piece of artwork. These posts are not made by only one person and no, I'm not pointing fingers at any one person in particular; it's just that I found there are a variety of artists: those who take their time creating a project and those who prefer instant gratification.

I never really thought too much about it in regards to how I create until now and discovered I'm a little bit of both llong-term and instant. I prefer to have several projects going at once, one that will take me longer to accomplish and others that will allow me that instant gratification. This occur spontaneously at the same time and I may jump from one to the other especially if I'm waiting for glue, gesso, acrylic, watercolors or some other medium to dry before I can proceed on the long term project.

Having several long-term projects always in the works is always a challenge for me and often I focus on one or more at the same time if a technique I desire to use works well in both.

Anyways, I wondered just how many other artists create in this same fashion with a variety of project being works in process for a long-term project and if they supplement that with variety of little projects in between.

I know that I will be utilizing that skill a lot more as I begin to work on the submission process as some will be for professional reasons and other for the pure enjoyment I personally receive by swapping artwork with others, creating ATC's for trade, and work to finish some previous commitments, and some more personal in nature. Just some food for further investigating.... {*smiles}

No comments: