Saturday, July 15, 2006

More research on the quilt



After the storm had ceased, Don and I headed to Ontario for an evening out. We stopped in Barnes & Nobles where I spotted this magazine and quickly browsed through it.

I love the quilt on the cover, but I don't think it is one I intend to start quilt making with, LOL! However, there are a lot of great ideas in this mag.

I loved the Back to the Basics section, perfect for me as I have never created a quilt before. In that section, there is a variety of topics broken down: Tools of the Trade; Piece and Applique; Quilt It!; and Better Binding --- all perfect for me. I sat and read the articles last night and for the most part, I comprehended and understood what I was reading. The writing wasn't to technical, although there were a few things that I wasn't entire clear on. I guess you need to understand that I haven't sewn on a machine since I was the 7th grade and even then a crash course in simple apron making doesn't make one a seamstress, LOL!

Since I am older now, I really wished my parents would have taken more time to teach me a lot of things. My mother sews, knits, crochets, and has enjoyed a variety of crafts over the course of her lifetime; while my father was always more mechanically inclined using power tools. Heck, I even have one brother who is both an electrician and a carpenter who builds houses from the foundation up to the complete finishing details within! Me? I'm a scrapbooker, rubberstamper, book alterer, collagist......... meaning I can use a pair of scissors with the best of them! Ha! Ha!

Before you get the wrong impression of my parents, I want you to know that they are special people. They raised seven children, 4 boys and 3 girls, worked outside of the home, and held a variety of interests. It was just that when they did the things I'd like to know now, either I wasn't interested or they took the time for themselves to relax for a few moments of sanity, I'm sure!

Anyways, the important thing is that my parents are still here for me now. Mom has recently helped me by giving me some books, showing me a simple quilt, and there to answer any of my questions. I'm certain she'd even come over and assist me with this project if I asked her to. So, I'm not entirely left on my own here trying to figure this all out. My younger sister, Mary, and one of my faithful blog readers {even if she doesn't post comments, *hint*hint*} is a wonderful sewer. (Why does look mis-spelled? Sewer. LOL!) She's made a variety of sewn objects... from curtains to bedspreads to pillows and probably some items I don't even know about. Anyways, she has also recently helped me. She informed me to wash and press the fabric first, stating that the one time she didn't, she wished she would have! Okay, sis, I'll take your advice.

Back to the topic of the magazine..... {see how my frazzled mind wanders...}... there are a variety of other projects that I found interesting. The Tickled Pink tote, the Doggone Great Bed that is too dog-gone cute but not worth my time as Chaos would simply try to eat it!, and the Favorite Fabric Covered Journals --- now those are right up my alley!!!!! {*smile} I can see this magazine getting some use from me and one that I'll be on the lookout for should my sewing attempts become successful.

No comments: