Monday, October 16, 2006

Who knew?

That one day I'd be so excited over a cake pedestal? LOL! Or that I'd actually care if our dishes were washed, dried, and actually put away in the cupboards? That I'd so enjoy cooking a meal for my family and friends, having guests over, and lingering in these still small moments? I find it so funny that just 5-6 months ago I was saying, "Don't call me grandma!" to now thinking that there isn't anything else I'd prefer to be called.

I would never have guessed just how much I would change and reminence over my own values and their beliefs, and think and mull over all the littlest things. But since Alexxis has been born and I look at her with all her childhood wonder and curiousity, her willingness to explore the world around her, I realize just how important all these things are in influencing the choices and the decisions that she will one day face. Never before have I wished for simpler times, a simpler lifestyle, a more relaxed and laid-back pace to my life than I do right now in this season of my life. And it is all because of her!

I want to spend all the time I can seeing the world from her point of view, exploring with that childlike curiosity with wisdom to know about the dangers that lurk around some of life's corners. I want to make our home her safe haven, her sanctuary, her soft place to fall when the world outside our door becomes too much for her to bear. I want to share with her the delight that is found in the ordinary, everyday moments of time that we tend to often take for granted when caught up in the hustle and bustle of life's busiest moments. But most of all, I want to teach her that is okay to get caught up in life sometimes and that it is perfectly okay to find pleasure in life's smallest treasures; that there is absolutely nothing wrong with desiring to get back to the basics of living a life filled with joy! That is okay to capture stolen moments in time and to just be present in the here and now, savoring them.... one second at a time. That these are the most important moments of all... those that restoreth one soul when the world becomes too much, too full, too big, powerful, and overbearing. There is definately still delight in the little things.

Love you, "Lexi! Ever so proudly, Grandma...

1 comment:

liannallama said...

Oh, I really love the way you write! Such feeling and depth here! I'm glad you are enjoying this time of your life with your DGD. That's one of my regrets of never having kids--it seems so fun to be a grandma and to have grown children you can talk to!