Monday, October 16, 2006

Yesterday's drive was pretty amazing! Although the fall foilage really took a hit in the Hocking Hills area as well. The trees are near peak, however the beautiful, vibrant reds that are normally present are all but non-existance. {sigh.} The leaves have either been blown from the trees due to the force of the recent winds or have given away to the more brown colors due to the cold temperatures. There were lots of greenery still in the trees, sprinkled with brows and the most magnificance yellow-gold colors that are really just glorious, especially when viewed shining in the sun. I did snap a few photograph which I'll have to upload later as I left my camera under the front seat of the truck. Please know that this is something I don't normally do, however, I really needed both hands to carry this in:


Isn't it beautiful? I've been desiring a cake plate for quite some time now and have looked at many in some antique malls, flea markets, ect. My big hang up was that I didn't want to pay a small fortune for one because I actually want to use it! My fear was that if I purchased a beautiful antique and paid more for it, I'd be scared of something actually happening to it so therefore it would be more for display than actually something functional. Does that make sense?

This cake plate is huge! The base measures 13.5" across and the dome is 11" but it was another cool feature actually sold me on it. Flip the base over, flip over the dome......... and TA! DA! It's a 5 quart punch bowl! Now I very rarely ever need a punch bowl and when I do there are plenty of them around to be borrowed... but I loved the thought of owning my own and the fact that it does double the duty works perfectly well with me. I'm excited about purchasing some cake doilies, baking, and decorating my first cake to display within it. Carrot cake, anyone? With cream cheese icing, of course! {*wink}

For anyone who may be interested, this cake pedestal and dome is from Anchor Hocking and is the Victoria style. I captured the photograph from Amazon so there are plenty of them available online.

3 comments:

Sue McGettigan said...

I have a 'thing' for cake pedestals Cathy, this one looks great! You can also use the inverted lid as a trifle bowl - makes a spectacular dessert.

liannallama said...

well, aren't I chatty today, LOL! I LOVE your cake plate! I've always wanted one like that but I just don't have room to store something I'd only use once a year! But how cool that it doubles as a punch bowl--and yummy-you can make us a trifle too!

:)

Cathy said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies. Any good trifle recipes to share? What a wonderful idea! See, this is why I love my friends... they are so inspiring!!!