Friday, December 22, 2006

A "stolen" moment...

and not just one, a few... long enough for a cup of coffee and a quick update... {smiles}. Yesterday was a hectic day with a visit to the chiropractor, a trip to the library for copies to be made, grocery shopping, a short visit with my parents to drop of mom's copies she needed, before we finally headed home. Arriving home, I hit the kitchen to begin my holiday baking. A loaf of banana nut bread, banana nut muffins, peanut butter chocolate thumbprint cookies, and a batch of sugar cookie dough to refrigerator for use today. of course, I cleaned up often between tasks, washing dishes, baking pans, whiping up countertops. After my last batch of cookie dough making, I thought about whipping up some fantasy fudge, however, room to chill it in the side by side refrigerator became an obstacle, so I opted to wait to make that today after I'm finished baking sugar cookies. {That is IF I'm still standing, LOL!} So, instead of making fudge, I chose to make some Yule Logs. Not having a double boiler to melt chocolate in, I got resourceful by using my 5 qt. pot and a 2 1/2 qt. pot to melt my chocolate into and instead of making a bigger mess, I broke my pretzel rods in half so I could dip them into the 2 1/2 qt. pot of chocolate. After dipping them, placing them on wax paper, and sliding them onto a cookie sheet, they were slipped into the freezer to assist with the hardening of the chocolate; while I cleaned the 2 qt. pot so I could melt the white chocolate to drizzle over top. A lid kept the water boiling and a pot holder kept me from getting a steam burn. Once the white chocolate was melted, I scooped it into a quart sized freezer bag, zipped it closed and cut a small corner snip with scissor to use as a decorating bag. That worked wonderfully!!! and the fact that I could just toss it after use, made clean up a breeze!

I also managed to set up a hair cutting and highlighting appointment for today at 3:30 p.m. so I'm working on housework this a.m. and currently taking a well-deserved break for a minute or two. There is still a lot to do.... sugar cookies will be baked and decorated later today when I return home, and tomorrow I'll be making potatoe salad! 2 large bowls, on for my parents and our family luncheon on Sunday; the other for taking to Dennis and Sheila's for Christmas dinner.

I don't know if anyone of you will remember that I had an extra TMX Elmo; as there were a limit of 2 when we purchased it for on of Alexxis' gifts; we purchased an additional one. We have been wondering what to do with it..... thought about ebay.. thought about donating it to an angel tree child... then, I thought I'd like to donate to our hospital's pediatrics department. Well, I heard word yesterday that they are unable to accept it due to it being a plush toy and not easily sanitized, so Sheila is purchasing it from us to gift to her grandsons. She couldn't believe that I had one and although like me a bit disappointed the hospital couldn't accept it; she is excited that their loss is her gain. Dennis and Sheila will be stopping by on Christmas Eve to visit, pick it up, and take the potatoe salad home for our dinner there on Monday. This will work out beautifully, since we have lunch at my parent's with Amber, Chris, and Alexxis scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday. On Monday, we will have a luncheon with Don's mom and family at her house; and in the mid-afternoon we will be heading over to Sheila's for Christmas dinner.

I had to laugh while talking with an internet friend, she asked, "When will you be starting a diet?" I chuckled and replied, "I'm on one now!" LOL! Thankfully, the majority of my recent cookie and candy making spree is going to be given away... neither Don or I can afford for it to hang around here too long!

Well, there is still a lot to do in preparation of Christmas which is now only 3 short days away, so I'm off of here...... it 'tis the season and time to hit the ground running, once again. I do have some items that I am desiring to capture photographs of to share.... I'll try to fit them in real soon. I hope your day is going good, your spirits are high, and you are celebrating the season in a holly jolly style!!!! {smile}

2 comments:

Kerilou said...

Hey, Cathy! Saw your post on my blog, and wanted to let you know about my village houses. They are made out of plaster, and I get then through a crafting catalog called Mary Maxim. The site is www.marymaxim.com
Look under a heading such a plastercrafts or some such. They come with a light, and paint, too! All your goodies sound divine, by the way!! Merry Christmas! Kerilou

Cathy said...

Thank you for the information, Keri! and Merry Christmas to you and yours!