Sunday, February 18, 2007

My "official" birthday celebration thread....

Yesterday was a fabulous day, considering I slept in until almost 11 o'clock, LOL! Upon awaking I checked my emails, did some online window shopping, placed another order online for a much coveted image, then made some "Thank You for having me" telephone calls to Christine and Deb. Later on, I dug into my CIS tote to remove a paper storer to look through the small deco I'd created the night before. I added a few little things to it and jotted down some thoughts and ideas for embellishing it further. I'll have to capture some photographs of it to share once that has been done.

And the birthday mail continues to pour in..... maybe possibly due to the recent weather... Anyways, I received a beautiful Iris folded birthday card from my friend, Linda Moyes and a fabulous "Lace" ATC from my friend Lianne. Lianne actually crocheted on the edge of the ATC and it is so gorgeous. Thank you! Thank you! both of you!!! I love them! {I'll have to capture some photographs to add later.} Still elusive is the birthday card from Don's mom --- she sends me one every year and this year Don inquired if I'd received it. Nope; not yet! But I'm still watching for it...

After showering, getting dressed, Don returned home and shortly thereafter we made our way over to Mansfield. The weather wasn't too bad, quite warm feeling in high teens and low twenty degree temperatures, LOL! Funny how that works after a few days of near zero or below weather... a moderate snowfall which resulted in about 2" of additional snow fell while we were driving. The main roads weren't too bad as we travelled, but we maintained a slower speed and a much more relaxed pace. Our conversation consisted of the upcoming warming temperatures, Spring, and how often we tend to forget to live in the moment and enjoy what we have now. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking as we looked acrossed the open fields covered in snow with the light of that twilight blue night sky casting its glow on everything before becoming cloud covered once again. Along the way, I telephoned Dennis and Sheila and we made arrangements just to meet at Fork and Fingers restaurant, saving Don and I some backtracking. That worked at wonderfully as we both arrived in the parking lot at the same time --- good timing, wouldn't you say? Our dinner consisted of Chicken Fajitas for Sheila and I while the guys opted for smaller meals. I enjoyed a few margaritas... absolutely delicious! and a bit intoxicating... those little things are powerful! LOL! After eating I was serenada'd {sp.?} with a birthday song while a sombre was placed upon my head. Thankfully the margaritas helped with that embarrassing moment... I handled it like a real trooper! During our conversation between Sheila and I while catching up with one another's lives, she mentioned having recently rearranged some furniture and a jelly cabinet that Dennis had made for her in some previous year. As we talked she mentioned wanting to get rid of it and I tried to persuade her to simply store it for a while before making that decision. She simply stated, "No. I'm getting rid of it." Well hell, I'd love to have it, so I asked her to let me know what she wanted to sell it for when she offered to simply give it to me for my birthday present! How sweet! Dennis offered to put a new back on the cabinet and they will deliver it to me when this crazy weather clears up a bit and the snow starts melting. I cannot wait to show it to you. Dennis is a wonderful woodworker, but I believe that I've mentioned that before, huh? I'll have to capture some photographs of his work to show you.

Speaking of photographs, I almost took my camera along but worried about damaging it or forgetting it somewhere so I opted out. However, I'll show you some beautiful photographs of their home soon... maybe this spring when we can stroll through the property. It is definately heaven on earth! I so love it there... You'll see what I mean when I take those photographs and finally post them.

After eating we returned to Dennis and Sheila's for dessert. Sheila baked me a wonderful cake, called "Pig Licking Picking Cake" Ymmm... was it ever delish!!! Here's the recipe that she so lovingly shared with me.

Pig Licking Picking Cake

1 box of yellow cake mix
1 can of mandarin oranges
1 cup of pecans
1/2 tsp. of vanilla
4 eggs
1 can of evaporated milk

Icing:
1 cup of pecans
Vanilla instant pudding
1 large tub of frozed whipped cream *{Sheila used two smaller tubs}
1 large can of crushed pineapple

Mix the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl, then, pour into 3-9" lightly greased and floured pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes.

While cake is baking, prepare the Icing: Mix all ingredients together and chill until the cake cools completely. Then add between all the layers and cover the top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Man, is this ever delish! So moist... Sheila and I discussed multiple options from using fresh strawberries and blueberries for a cool summer dessert. Simply slice and serve with a cup of hot coffee, cold iced tea, or iced lemonade. Trust me, it is divine!!! {smile}

No comments: