Sunday, March 04, 2007

Fabric choices and other ramblings...


As I thought about creating my first quilt block and the purpose for it, I stumbled across the idea of creating a block for a journal cover using the theme of "The Secret Garden". I liked how the garden was waiting to one day be re-discovered, worked, and tended to. I reminded me of discovering CQ'ing and the research that I've been doing to cultivate the creation of my own first block.

After selecting the theme, I remembered an old garden themed calendar that I recently discovered at Goodwill was filled with a wide variety of wonderful garden pictures. So, I cut up small squares of the fabric I'm desiring to use and browsed through the book comparing the fabrics to one picture after another, mainly looking for some additional fabric choices and colors to add. I discovered that deep purple looks wonderful with these, as did a deep dusty mauve, and whites and off-white warm vanillas. As I sat turning page after page, comparing colors and such, I stumbled across this photograph. I love that stone bridge, the sweet watercolor effect of the photograph, {I lightened this digitally just a bit and lost some of that quality while doing so} and the contrast of light and dark.

Today, I plan to take the book and my fabric swatches along with me to JoAnn's to purchase some additional supplies. I'm desiring some satins. White and off white's for fabric transfers, a deep purple and some teal green and blues like those shown in the picture. Hopefully, I will find something to inspire me further. I've quite a bit of the fabrics shown above so creating matching set of a book cover, scissor and needle case, and even, a stash box and/or a matching pillow wouldn't be a problem should I decide to continue with this while learning. I also like this idea as I can slow down on purchasing a lot of supplies, use up most of those that I sorted through yesterday, while I work on building my threads, fibers, and floss collection as I work on mastering some stitches. Although, I wonder about how soon it will be before I tire of the color scheme, LOL!

I also need some sort of an organization system for storing my threads, flosses, needles and trims for storing and traveling this weekend. So I think I'll pick up something to assist me with that. It will certainly make any continued shopping for supplies easier and hopefully prevent me from purchasing some repeat supplies--- a good reason to start keeping a CQ journal and I may end up with six or seven travel bags yet! {vbg}

No comments: