Monday, April 16, 2007

Do you see this?

I started my crazy quilt throw! I simply couldn't resist. As Don and I went about running our errands today, beginning to work on this was constantly on my mind. I don't believe I've ever said, "What?" so much in my entire life. I know, I know, doing that to someone else is rude and I dislike it when I'm on the receiving end but I swear I couldn't help it! I was powerless. Don asked me... hmmm, something about the box I was mailing to my sister and I said "What?" Then, he'd repeat himself and I'd answer. We ventured into the post office to mail off all my packages, he say something else, I'd say, "What?" LOL! Normally, the shoe is on the other foot. Don tells me I have a soft voice and years of previous factory work are taking their toll on his hearing so it has become an ongoing joke with us to gentle chide and tease other. I say something and he says, "What?" and I say, "Huh? Huh, What?" He laughs and says, "What????" and I reply, "What? What?" Anyways, it cracks our friends up, LOL! and certainly beats the alternative of letting a little thing upset you. When it is important for me to be sure he hears me, I joke around, getting up in front of him, tapping on whatever just happens to be in my hand, and ask... "Is this thing on?" or "Testing. Testing. 1-2-3" that usually is enough to obtain his undivided attention. Today, it was me with the divided attention, I couldn't concentrate on anything else. So, after returning home from the post office, a quick bite to eat at Arby's, JoAnn's for my Ott light bulb, and two grocery stores, I quickly got things out of my way so I could begin. I'd iron my muslin previously and since it wasn't in too bad of shape and I knew I'd be ironing as I began patching, I measured twice and cut once into the 50"x60" throw. Yep, you heard me. No multitude of small blocks for this baby... it's one solid piece! I used a disappearing fabric marker to mark the center of each direction and set to work piecing. It is actually coming together a bit faster than I originally thought that it would and I'm pretty impressed with the stitches I'm making. They are straight, small, and evenly spaced, perhaps not 12 per inch but darn close! I started with the 5 sided red piece sewing it all the way around. After determining my next color/pattern fabric, I cut it to on of the edges, flipped it over just a bit beyond the stitches I'd made previously on the prior patch and started sewing again. I iron my patches and the surrounding muslin flat between adding additional patches as I worked and a final ironing prior to deciding to baste stitch them flat before stopping for the night. I'm excited to see it finally begining to come together! {*big smiles*}

No comments: