Saturday, April 07, 2007

Friday , Weekend Plans, and a lot on my mind...

Yesterday was a very busy day for both Don and I. It began "normal" enough with each of us following our morning routines, Don puttering around, picking up this and that and accomplishing some things, while I spent my time on the computer - waking up. It never ceases to amaze me, how totally different we start our days. Don is all get up and go, diving in head first; while I love to "ease" myself into the day, complete with several cups of coffee and some quiet time to myself. I dislike being "rushed" about first thing on any morning; but with anything there are the occasional exceptions; Don thrives on busy mornings. In fact, he prefers them. Getting up and going is his specialty. Somehow, this all works itself out between the two of us.

During the late morning, I finally am ready to face the world and dig into what needs and desires need to be met. Yesterday, was the chore of bill paying and figuring out where our finances need to be going and what would have to be put off for another day. Over the years, we've established quite a system to the routine and together we accomplish so much more than one of alone could achieve. Afterwards, I made my way around, getting showered and dressed, putting on my "running" shoes.

The first thing on my mind afterwards was talking to my dear friend, Sheila. I needed to know about any updates and/or recent events with her, her family, and her mom. After talking to her, I was left in shock of how, in this day and age, something of this nature can happen --- although, I'm no newbie to the consequences created by lack of communication. It seems that there was a lot of confusion over the diagnosis, treatment, and care of her mom when she had her shortness of breath experience. The bronchial scope she received was done at Brady Hospital, before she was ever transferred to Riverside. There was also some confusion about why she was even transferred there to begin with. Sheila and Barbara, her older sister, weren't given a lot of information and, so it seems, neither were their questions regarding their mom given or provided to them accurately. In fact, in my mind, the situation bordered on neglect as Sheila and Barbara were under the impression that the broncial scope would be done on Monday at Riverside, not knowing it had be completed on Saturday at Brady. The hullicinations seem to be the result of her deteriorating condition after the chemotherapy treatments, the anesthetic given during the procedure, and the morphine given to her for comfort afterwards. The confusion began clearing up a bit, after staying with her mom for several more days after Sheila's mom was released to go home {which is another area of confusion - Riverside was attempting to place her in a nursing home!}, Sheila's other sister, Brenda, made the follow-up appointment with her regular Dr. It was during that visit that some light was shed on the situation.

It seems that Sheila's mom signed the paperwork, giving permission for the bronchial scope to be done at Brady on Saturday. No biopsy was taken due to the size of a tumor in or on her lung putting pressure on the stomach and her esophagus. All of us were in shock! What's this about a tumor? Riverside had told the girls there was mucus there and that her cancer hadn't returned! Now, there is a tumor and to add further insult to the injury, it appears at this time nothing other than making her mom comfortable and no time frame given, just "spend as much time with her as you can". The Dr. added that it was time for the family to pull together and do shift work in her care, that she should not be left to live alone anymore. Not that she's by herself for any real length of time, there's always family in and out assisting her. But anyways this was a huge blow to all of us!

Sheila and I discussed some options that the family has. We discussed how she truly desires for her mom to give up her apartment and come live with them. Her mom loves the farmhouse, the land surrounding it, but there is no way in hell she's ready for "giving up her independance" of living alone. As we chatted, my heart ached for my dear and faithful friend. I fought back tears as we talked and her pain and confusion over this entire situation, and her pain became my own. It truly breaks my heart that she has to experience this and I dread the unfortunate day that I, myself, will be facing this with my own aging parents. It hits home like no other thoughts or actions can! I found little relief in knowing that just having me as a friend {and an adopted member of her family} to talk to, and every so often I don't really don't know what to say. So I sit and just listen to her, wiping away her tears, hugging her to let her know that I care, and offer up something funny to say to bring some laughter to her darkening days. Somehow, I know just how much it means to her and I know that one day, she'll be doing the same for me. I often wonder about how we just seemed to hit it off immediately after first meeting one another. How it now seems that each of us in an extension of the other to each other. How when we make that phone call to stay in touch, or just drop in on one another, it is like a ray of sunshine on dull, dreary day that suddenly springs to a life instantly filled with love and laughter. We have so very much in common. From the way we were raised as children, the relationships we've sustained within our lives, to how we are so alike, yet different. Our lives seem like mirror images of one another's in so many ways, and we often think and believe, our paths were meant to cross, to meet, to collide.

Anyways, as we talked Sheila mentioned that she had just realized that Sunday would be Easter Sunday. I told her that this isn't uncommon when you look at how busy she's been with everything going on her mom, the hospital, her release from the hospital, and the blow she sustained. I told her about my discussion earlier that day with Don and the plans we had made to purchase a ham so I could make us a dinner of Ham and Scalloped potatoes. Sheila laughed stating that was what she was thinking and soon we making plans to spend our Easter together in their home. Shortly afterwards, both of us were making a shopping list... I'll pick up the ham and mixings for the scallop potatoes, while she'll shop and make the side dishes and dessert. A beep from her call waiting and her sister, Barbara telephoning we cut our conversation short with promises to telephone back later in the day.

So, Don and I headed out to pay a few bills, visit the new Hobby Lobby store that recently opened in our area. YAY! No need for a road trip to visit one of my favorite stores... that is a good thing, yes/no? When we arrived, I was excited beyond measure. First stop, the needlework aisle where I looked at wood frames for stitching. As I weighed my options, I finally went with Don's decision to purchase a 18"x27" Hardwood Quilting and Embroidery Hoop with a stand certain that it will come in handy as I work to embellish my crazy quilt throw for the studio. What I didn't realize is that I'll need a smaller one, LOL! So that is now on my wishlist.

As I further browsed the floss, perle cottons, ect. I discovered they are carrying a variety of Bucilla Silk Ribbon. Go figure! I just placed an order with the Ribbonsmyth for 3 50 yd. rolls of dyable silk and a dye kit! Which will be okay as it is a cheaper option and one I look forward to learning and experimenting with. So, I picked up some Boye ribbon embroidery needles in both 2mm and 4mm sizes; those will come in handy. We continued wandering through the store, me oohing and ahhing repeatedly and acting like a little kid saying, "Look at This!", "Isn't this kewl!" and a variety of other phrases,Don teased me about putting in an application to support my own hobbies and I chided back that at the end of the pay period, I'd owe them money! LOL! But it is something to consider at a later date.

As we made our way to the check out counter, I had a burning urge to pick up something for Sheila. As we approached the Easter decor section, I decided to give in to this feeling and found a wonderful 8" vintage-style resin rabbit figurine with a small candle votive mounted to a wood base. Perfect! It can be our "Easter dinner centerpiece". Over to check out votive size candles, I finally decided upon a white tulip scented six pack. That settled it, or so I thought. Waiting in line to check out in any store is dangerous! Well, Hobby Lobby makes it even more so when you're standing next to the magazine racks. Of course, I had to browse! There mixed within the magazines was a Silk Ribbon Embroidery book complete with instructions and color examples for a variety of flowers, greenery, and garden insects. Looking at the price, I continued browsing only to realize that the booklet was a better purchase than a magazine, so into the cart it went. All in all, I didn't do too bad for our first visit! I didn't go too overboard and realized that I needed to think about my purchases and not just give into the whim of "I want this or that!" I will definately be going back, although I also want to continue to support our local JoAnn's store. They've been so good to me over the years and I shouldn't forget that.

No comments: