Wednesday, August 20, 2008

CED ~ 2008 - It's All in the Details...

I mentioned previously some of the accomplishments that I made while I was without my computer, so today I took a few photographs of some of the updates that I made to our home's only bathroom. The linen cupboard's top was cleared and cleaned off prior to updating it with a doily {taken from another room in our home}, a silk palm in a woven basket {a recent clearance purchase from Kirkland's}, and two of the apothecary canisters which we already had. I love the sparceness of it now, it was too cluttered before. I sat on the rug and hand-sewn the bullion fringe onto the shower curtain in all of 15 minutes. It was the perfect solution for the shower curtain that shrunk upon washing and allowed 2 1/2 - 3" of the shower liner to show! I love that quick fix, what a wonderful decorating solution.

The framed picture is another recent purchase, that helped to fill a previous bare spot. The print has a soft quality to it and the colors worked perfectly in this room. The paint has been in this room for several years now, and I still love it as much today as I did the day that I painted it. It a slate gray/green color that seems to change depending upon the lighting, although I no longer remember the brand name or the color, I'm thinking it's Valspar? Anyways...


The above wall grouping was completed without costing us a thing! I previously had everything pictured here. Previously the nature print in the center of the grouping hung all by itself and looked so lost and all alone all by itself. Moving the bird hooks to this wall and by adding a piece of the matching wallpaper border {that I'm thankful now for never getting around to getting it hung} to a pair of small frames. I'm still considering whether or not to paint the frames black and use a touch of the red paint from the kitchen to paint the ball portion of the bird hooks; both ideas would tie in wonderfully with the shower curtain! What you think? Paint them or leave them alone?

Here is where I have to issue a disclaimer! I was totally against this idea, but sometimes you gotta go with the flow! I desired beadboard for the bathroom and someone else {hmmm...} decided to go with paneling... I won't mention any names... I'm just saying! So, I've done my best on making it work! Although, I do have to give credit where credit is due, and say that I ever so thankful that the previous person was in complete agreement with me on the "faux laminent" trim, so we removed it! Adding wood, real wood, either stained or paintedtrim is on our "To Do" list... until then, we'll do what we do and simply make it do.

The photograph below is an experiment by "yours truly". It is another "update" and "To Do" project that I'm on the fence about. Painting laminate pieces that are in dire straights of updating... I agree with so many others that doing so is an inexpensive solution to problems areas of one's home, but I have to admit that I am one of what seems a dying breed of Traditional style decorating. With that said, I thought I should note that the bathroom in our home has seen it's fair share of changes over the years. This room has been "redone" prior to my arrival... the sink area is now located in what was once a hallway that led to the nursery/laundry area. By walling and closing that area off, we were able to put our laundry room on the opposite side of the wall, and one the first floor of our home {to get it out of the half basement. It was a wonderful solution!} and make for more room in what was previously a "cramped and crowded" bathroom.


So, what's the problem? Let me show you... {I'm putting that in a separate post... and would love some feedback as far as what improvements we could make --- inexpensively as possible...}

No comments: