Thursday, August 21, 2008

CED ~ 2008 - Puttering & creating...


After puttering around in the studio yesterday and not actually accomplishing anything, I soaked in the jacuzzi for a while until Don and I made a stop into our local Hobby Store so I could purchase a few more strands of trim. I've seen some beautiful tassels created on http://susieharris.blogspot.com/ and http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/ and desired to take my hen and chick ornament and turn it into a tassel and have it hanging off it's usual spot on one of our kitchen cabinet's knobs. The black bullion fringe was part of a piece I had left over from my previous shower curtain project so I put it to good use here. I'm thinking the remaining trims could be utilized in the altered book, when I finally get around to starting on it.
I also wanted to mention an issue of trust, especially when one is in a big box store. No one was in the fabric department when I carefully choose what trims I wanted and no one came when I rang the bell at the fabric cutting counter. However, laying on the counter were a pair of scissors, the blank tickets they write up, and a pen, so I cut my own trim, wrote up the order, left the trim laying on the counter {just in case someone needed to check my trim lengths and prices out}. When we made our way to the check out counter, I explained to the sales clerk that there was no one there to assist me so I took the liberty to cut and write up the slip myself. The sales clerk didn't bat an eyelash as she rang up my order! However, I did notice that she'd noticed there were real no really significant lengths to the trims, I'd only cut a maximum of a half yard of one. Figuring she wondered what I was creating with it, I told her what I'd seen online and desired to create myself. She must also be into crafts, or possibly an artist, or something, besides "just doing her job" because she even pitched in with some suggestions of item that they carry that would make some amazing tassels! I loved it! It was a relief to carry on a conversation, especially after being in a few big box stores previously where not one person said a word to us as we browsed and another salesclerk only asked, "Did you find everything okay?" No acknowledge of our presence in their stores, no "Hello's" or "Have a good day/evening" or whatever. Wouldn't you think with the economy in the US today, you'd at least hear a "Thank you for shopping with us." Well, I'm not one to complain, especially when it comes to the issue of trust. I know it certainly beats being followed around a store by an employee as if you cannot be trusted! Perhaps, time are changing for the better...
{I'm still haven't decided on any decorating changes to our bathroom so I'm going to allow my thoughts on it to "brew" for awhile. I'm still open to suggestions...} And I may just move that black painted chair out to my studio. While I was in there yesterday, that idea struck me. It would make a nice contrast to my wooden stamping table and the oak veneer slat wall behind it. I love possibilities! {especially when they seem to work out like that!}

1 comment:

Lisa Renéa said...

Such a sweet idea! Your flowers look great with the living room. I am enjoying this one step at a time process. It's working so well! (oh, and without getting on my soapbox, I loved your post about the economy-retail-lack of appreciation issue)